Looking for a Music Director for
The South Shore Children’s Chorus
Start Date: September 2014
The South Shore Children’s Chorus, consisting of 40 students age 9 to 16, celebrates its 30th Anniversary this year. Our founding conductor, Betty-Jo Christiani, will be retiring at the end of the 2013-14 season and we are looking for a new Music Director who will usher in 30 more years of fun, learning and great musical performances.
One of the only truly bilingual children’s choirs in Canada, the Chorus enjoys wonderful support from many volunteers, an effective and motivated Board of Directors and the services of a young and talented Assistant Director. Over the years, the Chorus has spearheaded numerous exciting projects and contributed significantly to the cultural life on the South Shore of Montreal.
Rehearsals take place every Wednesday from 4:15pm to 7:15pm at St. Mary’s Parish, 125 Grove Street in Greenfield Park.
Main duties of Music Director include:
· Selecting musical repertoire taking into account choristers’ interests and capabilities
· Developing the choir by attracting, recruiting and auditioning potential choristers, with a particular focus on growing participation from the French-speaking community
· Leading rehearsals and 7 to 10 concerts per year
· Vocal and musical training for choristers
· Participating at Board of Directors meetings
· Participating in fundraising and social activities
· Managing ongoing communications with parents
· Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in music or choral direction
· Strong vocal competencies
· Extensive experience in choral direction
· Extensive experience in managing groups of children
· Fluency in English and French
· Rigor and methodical approach
· Ability to connect with children and teenagers
· Artistic creativity
· Capacity to adapt teaching techniques
· Strong communication skills
· Diplomacy and ability to negotiate
Compensation will depend on qualifications and experience
Full role is expected to start in September 2014. Participation in selected activities during the 2013-14 season would be desirable.
Deadline for submitting application: October 18, 2013 at midnight
1. Review of all applications: by the end of October
2. First meeting of pre-selected candidates with the selection committee: early November
3. Audition of finalists: during regular Chorus rehearsals in November
4. Final selection: by January 20, 2014
If you think you have the desired profile and this challenge is of interest to you, please submit your resume by email to David Christiani, Chairman of the Board of Directors at [email protected].
Chorus web site: http.//southshorechildrenschor